||FortHeight : 80|
|Type : Hill forts
||Fort Range : Nil|
|District : Sindhudurg
||Grade : Easy|
| The village of Kharepatan, erstwhile Balipattan, which is located on Mumbai – Goa Highway on the banks of Vaghotan creek was once upon a time the capital of Shilahar dynasty in the 8th century.
In ancient times, the merchant ships used to dock at Balipattan village sailing through Vijaydurg. Goods from here were used to be transported to the villages crossing the ghats of Baavda and Fonda ghat. A village with such a vital importance in terms of trade needs to be protected and thus Kharepatan fort was built in the 8th Century.
| Shilahar dynasty ruled south Konkan during the 8th Century A.D. King Shilahar Shwammiyara (A.D. 785-820) built this fort and established the village as the capital of his empire. Shivaji Maharaj won the forts of Rajapur and Kharepatan in 1660 A.D. The English officer of Rajapur, Gifford was imprisoned in this fort.
After the death of Shivaji Maharaj, Kanhoji Angre took command over most of the coastal forts which included Kharepatan. On 18th December, 1755; Peshwas and British army jointly attacked the fort and won it back from Tulaji Angre. Later, in 1850 A.D. the British won the fort in a huge battle with the Marathas which resulted in a huge loss to the fort's structure.
|Fascinating Spots :|
| Earlier, the fort stood protected with the creek on one side and a trench on three sides but due to urbanization the trench no longer exists. The fort wall and bastions are seen lost in a pile of mud. There is a temple of Goddess Durga on the citadel which was built by Shivaji Maharaj. There is a well near this temple which has a narrow way leading to horse stable near the creek which is hidden in bushes. There are also some devastated structures, “Sulacha dagad” (a stone) on the fort.|
|Ways To Reach :|
| Kharepatan village is on the border of Sindhudurg and Ratnagiri districts. Rajapur and Nandgaon are the nearest railway stations on the Konkan Railway line. Kharepatan village is 25 kms from these two stations.|
In the village, we first come across ST bus stand and then the market area. The line of shops from the market towards the creek leads us to the steps reaching a school. This school is in Kharepatan fort premises itself.