||FortHeight : 3100 ft.|
|Type : Hill forts
||Fort Range : Bhuleshwar|
|District : Pune
||Grade : Easy|
| The last fort built in Maharashtra is supposed to be Malhargad. The Sahyadri range, to the west of Pune in Velha taluka, is bifurcated, one of which has the forts of Rajgad and Torna, while on the other range are the forts of Sinhagad, Purandar, Vajragad and Malhargad. This range is known as the Bhuleshwar range which is spread along the East-West direction. The fort is believed to be built to keep watch on ‘Dive’ ghat along the Pune-Sasvad route. The fort was built during the period of 1757 A.D. to 1760 A.D. It is also known as Sonori because of the village of Sonori situated at its base.
| The fort was built by Panse, a Peshwa Sardar, who was the chief in-charge of Tofkhana of the Peshwas. Citations of a visit of Elder Madhavrao Peshwe to the fort are available in historic documents. A marvelous Palace, belonging to Panse, can be seen in the Sonori village. Also a Temple of Lord Shree Krishna can be seen here. The fort was used to keep an eye on Dive ghat and the surroundings.
|Fascinating Spots :|
| Malhargad is a small fort and can be seen completely in 30-45 mins. Much of its fortification and bastions are in a dilapidated state. |
|Fort top :
| As we enter through the Eastern entrance door and move along the left side, we come across some palatial remnants. Also a well (which has run dry) can be seen here. Now moving ahead along the fortification (instead of entering the citadel) a pond is seen. This pond remains filled with water during rains and winters. The water can be used, but not for drinking purpose. |
Another well is located on the way to the bastion at the top of the fort. This has also run dry. An entrance door below this bastion, which has got blocked, can be seen. Now we move to the right of the bastion and a small entrance door is seen. While approaching the fort from the Zendewadi base-village, we enter the fort through this gate.
On the citadel are two temples constructed side-by-side. The smaller temple is of Lord Khandoba and the larger temple is of Lord Mahadeva. The fort has been named Malhargad because of the temple of Lord Khandoba. The entrance door is located to the north of the citadel.
|Palace of Panse :
| At the base-village of Sonori, the spectacular six-bastion palace of Panse is a must visit. In this mansion is a temple of Lord Gajanana and Lord Laxmi-Narayana. It is only apt to worship the beautifully carved black-stone idol of Lord Shree Krishna in its temple in the Sonori village and then proceed for the fort. |
|Ways To Reach :|
| There are two ways to reach on top of the fort of Malhargad.|
|Through Zendewadi village :|