|Fort Name :||Alphabetically||RangeWise||DistrictWise||CategoryWise||GradeWise|
|Ramgad||FortHeight : 165|
|Type : Hill forts||Fort Range : Malvan, Sindhudurg|
|District : Sindhudurg||Grade : Medium|
|River Gad which originates near the Fort Rangana travels almost 80 kms before meeting the Arabian Sea. It served as an important trade route and a vital transport link in those days and Ramgad fort served as an important vigilance base for the same. This fort was built by Shivaji Maharaj on a hill dissected from the main mountain range of Sahyadri and has its main doorway, fortification wall and bastion intact till date.|
|Not much information can be derived on this fort. Tulaji Angre won the fort in the 18th century in the battle with Peshwas. Later, Krishnaji Mahadev who was the Commander of the Peshwas alongwith Sawantwadikars’ Khandaji Mankar won back the fort in February 1796. The British captured the fort on 6th April, 1818. Historical records state there were 21 cannons and 106 cannonballs present on the fort at that time.|
|Fascinating Spots :|
| One enters the fort through an 8 feet high doorway which has 18 feet high bastions on both sides. There are porches inside the doorway built for the gatekeepers. Moving a bit forward one comes to a secret doorway (Chor Darwaja). After entering the fort, proceed straight keeping the fort wall to the right to reach on an open surface called “Holi cha Maal” (open space generally used for celebrating festivals). Here one can find 7 cannons buried upside down of which the longest cannon is 7 feet long. There is a second entrance just opposite to these cannons which is facing northwards and is of Gomukhi architectural style with porches built in it. The route from this entrance leads to Holiwadi in Ramgad village. As the stones and bricks of this entrance are in ruins this route is no longer accessible. From the bastions of the doorway towards the left one can see the river Gad.|
The citadel is based amid the fort and its entrance stands completely ruined. Opposite to the citadel there is a wall which can reached by stairs and has a Lord Ganesh Idol and some Shalunka (base of a Shiv Linga). The other end of this wall has stairs which takes us to the entrance of the fort.
There are 15 bastions of 18 feet height and each one has three windows. The fort wall is 18 feet high and 640 meters in length covering the entire circumference of the fort. There are remnants of a mansion on a raised platform and no sign of water storage can be found on the fort.
|Ways To Reach :|
| Ramgad village comes under the jurisdiction of Kankavli taluka in Sindhudurg district. Regular buses ply from Kankavli and Malvan to Ramgad. |
1) Ramgad is 12 kms from Kankavli. One can take a bus at Kankavli going to Devgad via Masure, Achra.
2) Ramgad is 29 kms from Malvan. One can take a bus from Malvan going to Kankavli via Achra. With one’s private vehicle one can follow the route of Malvan – Chouke – Bagayat – Masade – Belana – Ramgad.
|Accommodation Facility :|
|Food Facility :|
|Available in Ramgad village.|
|Drinking Water Facility :|
|Available in Ramgad village.|
|Time To Reach :|
|15 minutes from Ramgad village market.|
| One can start from Malvan early in the morning and depart for Bharatgad and Bhagwantgad near Masure (12 kms) and thereafter to Ramgad (17 kms). From Ramgad one can proceed to Siddhagad in Ovaliye village (10kms) and further via Kasal (36 kms) to Malvan.|
With proper planning one can cover 4 forts in a single day.
Buses are available from Malvan to Masure, Masure to Ramgad and Kasal to Malvan. One has to take an auto from Ramgad to Ovaliye and Ovaliye to Kasal.
|Forts in the District of Sindhudurg||Bhagwantgad||Bharatgad||Hanumantgad||Kharepatan fort|
|Yashawantgad (Redi Fort)|